CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Assignment #5

In this Assignment I will be talking about the early Canadian settlers and what they did to survive the cold Canadian winter. alson I well be metioning about my family and what they did to survive the winter.

I can't imagine what the early Canadians had to do to survive the extremely cold winters in Canada.Some of the challenges they had to face were obviously keeping warm, finding food and building a durable shelter.

When the early Canadian settlers found out about the new continent, they decided to settle there to claim the land as there own. They called it New France.

The ways they dealt with the weather were to hunt caribou and seal. They used the animals for a variety of things that would keep them warm, provide food and make a shelter. They used the skin of the animals for clothing, blankets and tents. They ate the meat. There oil was used for cooking. The bones of the animals were very useful because the were made into tools which they used for hunting other animals and for cooking utensils.

My fathers family immigrated from Italy to Canada in 1966.They came to Canada for better opportunity of employment. My nonna which is grandma in Italian talks about the weather on a daily basis. Maybe that is due to the fact that her first Canadian winter came to as a shock.
My great grandmother and great grandfather on my mothers side also immigrated fom Italy to Canada. hey to came for better opportunity of employment.

My family and extended family have been in Canada for many years and have adapted to Canadian winters other then me I am still complaing that it is to cold to step outside the front door.

When I was looking for information about this topic it was almost literally impossible to find other then the link Mrs. Pollock provide which is
The Kids' Site on Canadian Settlement. All week I have been on the computer searching about how the early Canadians learned to deal with the cold Canadian winters and I find nothing about it which really put me down but when I read through the website Mrs. Pollock provided and it helped but I wish I could have found more information. I have learned that the early Canadians used what they had around the land and found ways to use it in many diffenerent ways and nothing was wasted.

1 comments:

Shauna Pollock said...

You are correct, it was difficult to find information for this question, but you did a very good job!